Sunday, June 9, 2013

People are crazy, and good all at the same time.

Months ago Jack was hospitalized for an incision infection -- curse you stupid surgery repair and repeated infections! We are all better now, but we've learned to leave WELL ENOUGH ALONE. So, Jack was sitting in his crib in the hospital playing with his Jack-in-the-box. He had just learned to wind it to make it jump. He was doing his thing while I was speaking to his nurse. He looked over at us and asked for some milk and to read a book using his adorable baby sign language.

His well-intentioned nurse was absolutely dazzled with Jackie and turned to me and said--these are her words exactly--"he is the smartest little retard I have ever seen." She's from India, so there was a language barrier.

I had so many options, I could:
 1. Cry like a baby;
 2. Give her the stink eye;
 3. Raise my fists to the sky in agony; or
4. Smile and laugh a little at the insanity of it all? Yes, yes he is.

For the most part, people are good and aren't trying to be INCREDIBLY insulting. Granted, there are jerks out there and I will read the RIOT Act to any one who messes with my babies! But, usually, people are kind and considerate.  Occasionally, some are misguided but overall most are good. Everyone screws up on big and small things. But I try to look at their intentions. A fool takes offense when none is intended. Even if people are misguided, generally they are trying to be good and kind. If so, cut 'em some slack. Maybe smile and nod or kindly educate them, but then, let it go. Lighten up. After all the only thing we can control is how we allow things to affect us.

No comments:

Post a Comment