Monday, January 25, 2010

Just warms my heart.

The sight, memory and results of this photo just make me happy. I'm sure I have mentioned it a thousand times but seeing my kids working makes me SO happy. Not just for the obvious selfish reasons either, even though those are great! But having hard working children is probably one of the most important things to me (of course I want them to be; honest, courageous, intelligent, follower of Christ, loving, etc). Being able to work I feel will serve them well their whole lives and I see it as a gift I can give them in their youth.

When we work we put on music (my girly dance music as Chad calls it) and we have fun while we do it. We play it loud and get down to it. But oftentimes the music will just take me and we all take a dance break. Where I'm sure if you could see it you would all loose whatever little respect you may have for me.
One thing you have to let go of is the results. At first the results will not be great and quite often it will only cause YOU more work. But with guidance, patience and practice they will become more and more able. One day what is expected is what will be delivered...one day.

I start them young helping out, as early as two. I'd have them help me pick up toys etc. And I just gradually add more to their repertoire. You would be amazed at how quickly they do pick it up. I don't have set daily chores for them. On a daily basis I see what needs doin and I farm it out to them and we usually have an extended work on Saturdays.

The things Luke is now proficient in are; emptying dishwasher, vacuuming, picking up the house, disinfecting door knobs/light switches, sweeping the garage, separating clothing and putting it away and raking. Luke is working on how to clean a bathroom and washing windows.

Owen can do all the above and sweep and mop the wood floors, wash windows, clean a bathroom top to bottom and load a dishwasher. Owie is working on how to run the washing machine.
Like I said it's a work in progress.

I have a theory about work. I enjoy being productive and working. I think it's because it was often the way my family would spend time together growing up. We'd work and talk and it would last FOR HOURS, but I don't remember being upset or not wanting to do it. It was also a way we'd serve another, I can remember organizing my brothers and getting the whole house clean as a surprise for my mom.

...Now Owen does that for me. In those moments I could just die of happiness. He's using his time and talents to serve me and help me.

1 comment:

  1. You Petersons do know how to work! I hoping to learn to work harder myself so I can pass it on to my kids too. And I think we need a video posted of the dancing that occurs while cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete