Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Did I mention that we've moved?

IMG_4849

So in the weeks leading up to our move, I really let myself go. In every sense of the word. Chad was already in Phoenix, I was barely pregnant and feeling AWFUL. The children watched their yearly limit of television in three weeks. They also ate their yearly junk food limit in the same period of time. I vomited my lifetime limit in those same three weeks. Even though, I must have borrowed from my next life because the vomiting only slowed down about a month ago. But never fear! I will still manage to throw up at least once weekly still. A word of caution, do not mix a gyro and mint chocolate chip ice cream, FYI. Now that you're thoroughly disgusted, an emotion I surprisingly evoke in people when discussing such delicacies, let's move on.

IMG_4850

While we were on a family vacation in Hawaii we discovered that Mr. Mead had gotten a great job in. . .Phoenix. And they wanted him to start in . . .three weeks. To add to this news, the very next day I bought the worlds most expensive pregnancy test in Maui and we found out I was also prego to boot! A week later once back in Texas we listed our house for sale. It was the first week in February and we thought it would take a couple of months to sell. The kids would finish their school year and we'd move out at the beginning of summer. Ah, the best laid plans.


IMG_4853

Our house sold in two days. We got a little bit of a bidding war between two interested parties and got over our asking price. After a much heated contract negotiation that lasted waaayyyy past midnight, we had to be out in three weeks. But we managed to keep our mineral rights, so we still are the Texas oil giants we envision ourselves to be. The moving company packed us up, many teary goodbyes were said and we were off!

IMG_4855

It's a fourteen hour car trip to Phoenix and we were loaded for bear. We had all the essentials, the children, the dog, the cats (one of which has already been eaten by a fox and the other is currently listed on craigslist (do you want him?)), five and a half pounds of junk food, pillows and blankets we slept on in our last night on Blanco Circle, bleach, plastic forks, starch (nicely pressed shirts are a must), butter, Gatorade, a going away box from my friend that made me cry all the way out of my familiar surroundings (about an hour and half), Texas cookbook and many other important/innocuous items. Some of those items in our defense either had to be thrown away or come with us, moving companies have rules! People. The butter, well, I had just bought a humongous amount of butter from Costco and I couldn't just leave perfectly good butter behind, you see.

IMG_4859

Ten hours later we left the Texas border, it is a very large state if you didn't already know that BTW. We got as far north of Mexico as we could bear and stayed the night in Las Cruces, NM. Thanks to the trusty Ipad we found a great hotel that would take our literal zoo of a family. We got two adjoining rooms, feed all the children and pets, cleaned up and relaxed. Early the next afternoon we got to our house in Mesa (we found a great house to rent for a year while the Phoenix real estate market calms down). Unpacked the car, and explored our new house. Lily preferred to do it in the nude of course.

1 comment: