Thursday, April 17, 2008

Person and Item of the week

Person of the week...my daddy :)


I know it's been a while since I've done these, but I just haven't gotten to all the people that I wanted to get to. So this week it's my dad. Anybody who knows me knows that I am a crazy hard working fool. I'm not totting my own horn but it's very true. I get this quality from my daddy. He is hard working and just can't seem to sit still. I think the only time he sits is if he's asleep. My dad worked very hard to support all six of us kids.


I have so many memories from my childhood of my dad but they are all along the same vein. Work. We were always working growing up; whether laying seed on our two acre lot to building the house we lived in (we really did). My dad even took us out to sell potatoes door to door so that we could go on vacation. At the time I didn't realize what a gift my father had given to me and my brothers. Even though he had us work in a way that I never resented him for the jobs we had to do (at least I don't remember resenting him).


I have a memory of my dad that the older I get the more grateful I am to him. I can remember when I was in middle school (I think) times were pretty tight. We were building our house, and my dad was beginning his now really successful international business. I remember going into a gas station with a friend late at night and seeing my dad working there. I didn't even know that he was working there until I unexpectedly went on the way home from a school function. He was teaching at the local business college during the daytime to make ends meet while he began his consulting business in Russia. Looking back it must have been very humbling for a man like my dad to talk a job like that. But he did and didn't complain or say a word, he just did what was necessary to get his family by. This is just one of many examples of seeing my dad do whatever was necessary to succeed.


Mickey Rooney put it well, "but in the end, hard work is the true, enduring characteristic of successful people." I am grateful to my father for instilling in me the value of a good hard days work.


Another thing that is great about my dad is he would give you the shirt off his back. And not only to his family. My dad was always bringing home people that were hungry. He would feed them and offer many of them jobs on his farm. Dad is the eternal optimist too, he always looks for the best in people and situations. I'm very grateful to my dad, I know he would do anything for me. Love you dad!


Item of the week...my sewing machine
I will post pictures later but I've been sewing up a storm over here. Drapes, pillows, valences...

4 comments:

  1. That was a sweet post, Jam! I remember lots of stuff about your dad, being at your house SO MUCH growing up! I remember one time you and I were daintily dipping our tortilla chips in the bowl of salsa and he thought it was funny that we weren't getting hardly any salsa on our chips to speak of. He thought it was funny to scoop heaps of salsa on his chips and eat them in huge bites to gross us out. (it didn't gross us out but he thought it did!) I thought that was funny. He was always good for a laugh! I love that you shared the value of hard work which he taught you. That is such an important quality for a father to teach his family! Can you imagine the responsibility our fathers must have felt with 6 & 8 kids to raise and support? They are amazing men. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. the naked bum picture was removed when Vern convinced me that some creepy pedifile may happen upon it. YUCK! but it was cute, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John's the man! I have good memories of your funny dad growing up too! What a great dad. He was such a hard worker and that is such an important quality to instill in kids. He did a great job! As for sewing up a storm....I need to see some of these masterpieces! I bet they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! We are blessed to have such great dads.

    Sewing up a storm? I can't wait to see the results. Please do share.

    ReplyDelete