Wednesday, December 7, 2011

One of his best days.

Half of my family was here for Thanksgiving. It was wonderful. I loved having all those crazies under my roof: eating, laughing, talking --being together. Many of them traveled long hard drives to come here and we felt honored that they did so. I loved cooking on Thanksgiving with my mom and Alyssa (my new, young, cute sister-in-law). After everyone left the kids and I were talking about what part of the holiday we all liked best.

IMG_8486

Owen piped right up and quickly said his favorite part was playing chess with his uncle Justin. I knew it was his favorite part before he said it. Chad had proposed that Owen and Justin should play each other the evening before. It was on!



The first thing the next morning Owen had the chess board all set up. He impatiently paced the house for about two hours waiting for Justin to wake up. Chad has played chess for years and has a resurgence of interest in the game of late. In his quest to become better the boys noticed him reading and playing the game. Enter a new chapter in their life.



IMG_8488

(Contemplating next move with Uncle Justin)



Chad has been playing against the boys for about a month now. Teaching them moves, strategy, and how to anticipate moves(stuff I don't know squat about). Chad, Owen and Luke go to chess classes every Wednesday evening. They look forward to it all week, especially Owen. Luke really looks forward to the stop at McDonalds for ice cream afterwards.



Owen has really taken to it. He reads chess books and plays anybody that will give him a game. I'm so thankful that Justin would play and give Owen a chance to try to really beat him. Justin hasn't played the game in years but he gave Owen his best game. The moment had come. I'm not sure who was more excited about it, Owen or Chad. Chad literally was pacing the room during the entire game.





IMG_8509

IMG_8511
(Owen talking smack, "you're going down uncle Justin!)



I hope I never forget the scene. Seeing the man you love beam with such pride in the child you love is an amazing thing. It confirms something I already know but it is still immensely satisfying. THIS IS IT: Chad and I are the only two people on the planet that care this much about these little people. Our mutual love for them binds us together even more deeply. He is the only one that feels my same pain to the same degree I do. He also, is the only one who feels the highest highs that I do. It is wonderful to have someone be there with you.



I was in the kitchen preparing Thanksgiving dinner -- I totally burnt the damn turkey! They were at the kitchen table, Chad was pacing the room. Chad can read the board many moves ahead and knows what will happen. He sees Justin is in trouble before Justin does. His boy, his first son will checkmate in four more moves. He is literally standing behind Justin fist pumping, clinching his hands together in victory. He is just SO DOG GONE PROUD OF HIS BOY.



Owen beat Justin that first game. It was one of Owen's best days. I'm so thankful that Justin gave Owen the satisfaction of really beating him. Justin didn't let him win. Justin and Owen played many more times that long weekend. As Justin became less rusty he beat Owen. They played and played taking turns beating each other.



IMG_8587

I can't even imagine what he will do when she takes her first hard earned victory.

1 comment:

  1. he'll buy her a new car. that's what he'll do. jk
    I love to be the 1st commenter here!

    ReplyDelete