Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Mead's weighted coin.

IMG_4302

Occasionally we commit the ultimate sin and buy a lotto ticket. We seem to thrive on unimaginable odds so we reason that we ought to put it to good use. Shockingly, we haven't won. . .yet. We aren't quitters though so when the stakes get high enough we'll put our trusty one dollar back in the game.

Thursday I was feeling frustrated at the wonderful odds that the Meads' enjoy. Chad settled in for another session of listening to the latest worries of my wife. I was going through enumerating exactly how unfair I feel life has been to poor little Jamie. Chad listened quietly to my complaining and began to give me another pep talk. I've noticed over the years an interesting balancing game we play as a married couple. When we are grappling with life's difficulties it would seem that when one is up the other is down. We each take turns being strong and offering hope for the other. Then, silently we switch roles and take our turn being Debbie or Donnie downer.

It is a dance that we do not orchestrate but simply happens naturally. I wonder if other couples experience a similar dance. Thankfully we don't stay too long in our misery because being miserable is just miserable. When our coin drops and we have to try it on for size, we see that it doesn't suit us and we get out of it quickly. I think that has probably been our saving grace. Being happy and enjoying life is just waaayyyy more fun than the alternative.

It's times like these that cement my belief that I chose the best dance partner. He reminds me when I need it who we are, what we have and how we are going to be awesome at this thing called life.

2 comments: