Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicken faijtas. We eat lots and lots of chicken round here.

IMG_6292
Chad served his mission in Venezuela. Land of beans and rice and very very little, seasonings. In fact, according to Chad zero seasonings. He came to a greater understanding of how wars were fought over spice, that people risked their lives to obtain them. That's how important flavor is. After two years he was probably dangerously close to similar drastic actions.

And for those of us who've had a plain baked potato we totally get them. So, Chad ate plain rice and beans for two years straight. When we met he mentioned (about a thousand times) that as long as he lives he will never eat rice or beans again.

He probably now feels that way about Chicken Fajitas.

IMG_6293
They are a staple in my, "Crap it's 5:00 and I haven't got an idea of what to make for dinner!"

Chicken Fajitas to the rescue! Dun dun a dun.

IMG_6295
It is down to a science now and I can whip em out in under fifteen minutes. First you (I just had the Winnie the Pooh clean up song race through my head, "First you pick it up, put it in the bag, bamp bamp.")take a skillet and put in a T of olive oil on med-high heat. Add in as many frozen chicken tenders as you like. Sprinkle each side generously with Djardines Fajita spice. Cook till they look like the picture above for ultimate yum factor.

Remove from heat and place on cutting board, then sigh at the mess on your cook top. Resist the temptation to clean it while it is burning hot. I cannot tell you how many friggin times I have to learn that lesson.

IMG_6296
Cook tortillas in a bit of oil on griddle till almost crispy. Look and coo at the delicious baby while doing this.

IMG_6302
Set them aside and get fixings ready. Sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, cheese and pico if you've got it.

IMG_6305
Serve to very grateful children. They love this meal, no matter how many millions of times they've had it. Nourishing them one day at a time. I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually love to cook. For enjoyment, I look through cooking books. But. Feeding people three times per day plus snacks day after day, gets old.

So, on days where I'm just not inspired, Chicken Fajita's, it's your time to shine!

IMG_6307

2 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    I really enjoy reading your blog. I admire your sense of humor and honesty. Thanks for the fajita instruction; I will try it with vege chixen. Jack is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sound good!! I love the last picture of Lilly with Jack, they love each other! He is getting so big, I can't believe how long he is!

    ReplyDelete